Tuesday, February 22, 2011

February 23 – St. Polycarp – Bishop and Martyr

St. Polycarp, bishop of Smyrna, was a disciple of St. John the Evangelist who was martyred about the year 155. His memorial was formerly observed on January 26th.

Among the writings handed down by the early Fathers is an account of St. Polycarp’s martyrdom. Therein we read:

“…the proconsul urging him, and saying, ‘Swear, and I will set you at liberty, reproach Christ’; Polycarp declared, ‘Eighty and six years have I served Him, and He never did me any injury: how then can I blaspheme my King and my Savior?’
“But again the proconsul said to him, ‘I will cause you to be consumed by fire…if you will not repent.’ But Polycarp said, ‘You threaten me with fire which burns for an hour, and after a little [while] is extinguished, but are ignorant of the fire of the coming judgment and of eternal punishment, reserved for the ungodly. But why do you tarry? Bring forth what you will.’”

With that, the Saint was tied to a stake and set on fire. The fire, however did not affect him and he was run through with a dagger, causing so much blood to pour out as to extinguish the fire.

It would do us well when we experience any sort of suffering in our lives to remember the example of the holy martyrs who gladly gave their lives for the sake of Our Lord. Then at all times, good and bad, we can join in praying with thanksgiving as St. Polycarp did as he was going to his death, “I praise You for all things, I bless You, I glorify You, along with the everlasting and heavenly Jesus Christ, Your beloved Son, with whom, to You, and the Holy Ghost, be glory both now and to all coming ages. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment