Saturday, February 26, 2011

Sunday Inspiration - The Love of God

Isaiah 49:14-15
“Zion said, ‘The Lord has forsaken me; my Lord has forgotten me.’ Can a mother forget her infant, be without tenderness for the child of her womb? Even should she forget, I will never forget you.”

St. John Cassian, Conference 13
“This providence and love of God therefore, which the Lord in His unwearied goodness vouchsafes to show us, He compares to the tenderest heart of a kind mother, as He wishes to express it by a figure of human affection, and finds in His creatures no such feeling of love to which he could better compare it. And He uses this example, because nothing dearer can be found in human nature, saying: ‘Can a mother forget her child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb?’ But not content with this comparison He at once goes beyond it, and subjoins these words: ‘And though she may forget, yet will not I forget you.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment